Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Erik Trimble wrote:
>
>> Dedup Disadvantages:
>>

> Obviously you do not work in the Sun marketing department which is
> intrested in this feature (due to some other companies marketing it).
> Note that the topic starter post came from someone in Sun's marketing
> department.
>
> I think that dedupication is a potential diversion which draws
> attention away from the core ZFS things which are still not ideally
> implemented or do not yet exist at all.  Compared with other
> filesystems, ZFS is still a toddler since it has only been deployed
> for a few years.  ZFS is intended to be an enterprise filesystem so
> let's give it more time to mature before hiting it with the "feature"
> stick.
>
> Bob
> ======================================
> Bob Friesenhahn
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/

More than anything, Bob's reply is my major feeling on this.  Dedup may
indeed turn out to be quite useful, but honestly, there's no broad data
which says that it is a Big Win (tm) _right_now_, compared to finishing
other features.  I'd really want a Engineering Study about the
real-world use (i.e. what percentage of the userbase _could_ use such a
feature, and what percentage _would_ use it, and exactly how useful
would each segment find it...) before bumping it up in the priority
queue of work to be done on ZFS.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support