On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Erik Trimble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> More than anything, Bob's reply is my major feeling on this.  Dedup may
> indeed turn out to be quite useful, but honestly, there's no broad data
> which says that it is a Big Win (tm) _right_now_, compared to finishing
> other features.  I'd really want a Engineering Study about the
> real-world use (i.e. what percentage of the userbase _could_ use such a
> feature, and what percentage _would_ use it, and exactly how useful
> would each segment find it...) before bumping it up in the priority
> queue of work to be done on ZFS.

I get this.  However, for most of my uses of clones dedup is
considered finishing the job.  Without it, I run the risk of having
way more writable data than I can restore.  Another solution to this
is to consider the output of "zfs send" to be a stable format and get
integration with enterprise backup software that can perform restores
in a way that maintains space efficiency.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/