> I have built mine the last few days, and it seems to
> be running fine right now.
>
> Originally I wanted Solaris 10, but switched to using
> SXCE (nevada build 94, the latest right now) because
> I wanted the new CIFS support and some additional ZFS
> features.
>
> Here's my setup. These were my goals:
> - Quiet as possible
> - Compact as possible
> - 6 drives minimum
> - Has all the right chipsets/etc. that Solaris of
> some sort supports
>
> Case: Antec P182
> CPU: Athlon64 X2 Dual Core 4450e 2.3GHz (figured
> lower power is cool)
> Mobo: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe (6 onboard SATA, 1 PATA [2
> devices], 1 other SATA, but not supported well good
> enough for booting it seems)
> Optical: some random IDE DVD-RW I picked up
> Boot: Seagate IDE
> Data: 6x1TB Seagate SATA2
> RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Matched Pair
> Kingston (non ECC, unbuffered)
> Power Supply: CoolMax PS-V500 500W

<snip>

We have a couple of machines similar to your just spec'ed.  They have worked
great.  The only problem is, the power management routine only works for K10
and later.  We will move to Intel core 2 duo for future machines (mainly b/c
power management considerations).

Another thought is about the SLI boards.  For use as servers, we really don't
need fancy video cards, which consume large amounts of power, and are actively
explore the option of micro MBs with built-in Intel video.

As to cases, our experience is, unless you have good air-conditioning or have a
means to nicely enclose your machine (like the BlackBox :-)  ), get a box as
big as your space would allow.  We had enough bad experiences with mini cases,
especially those Shuttle-type boxes.