> waynel wrote:
> >
> > We have a couple of machines similar to your just
> > spec'ed.  They have worked great.  The only
> problem
> > is, the power management routine only works for
> K10
> > and later.  We will move to Intel core 2 duo for
> > future machines (mainly b/c power management
> > considerations).
> >

> So is Intel better? Which motherboard could be a good
> choice? (microatx?)

As I mentioned previously, Solaris works great on Athlon X2 CPUs.  The only
reason we are moving to core 2 duo chips is power management.  We are also
looking at the option of using Athlon X3 and/or X4, for which power manage in
Solaris is available.  However, we do not have a firm answer as to whether we
can simply plug the X3/X4 CPUs onto the X2 board.

I am looking at the ASUS P5KPL-CM LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard:

http://tinyurl.com/asusp5kpl

Basically I am interested in finding a cheap but high-performance system with a
minimum power consumption, something that enthusiasts can try out a zfs-enabled
server before taking a look at Sun's catalog.