On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Moore, Joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ian Collins wrote:
>> I think you'd be surprised how large an organisation can migrate most,
>> if not all of their application servers to zones one or two Thumpers.
>>
>> Isn't that the reason for buying in "server appliances"?
>>

> Assuming that the application servers can coexist in the "only" 16GB
> available on a thumper, and the "only" 8GHz of CPU core speed, and the fact
> that the System controller is a massive single point of failure for both the
> applications and the storage.
>
> You may have a difference of opinion as to what a large organization is, but
> the reality is that the thumper series is good for some things in a large
> enterprise, and not good for some things.

Agreed.  My biggest issue with the Thumper is that all the disks are
7,200RPM SATA and have limited IOPS.   I'd like to see the Thumper
configurations offered allowing a user chosen mixture
of SAS and SATA drives with 7,200 and 15K RPM spindle speeds.   And
yes - I agree - you need as much RAM in the box as you can afford; ZFS
loves lots and lots of RAM and your users will love the performance
that large memory ZFS boxes provide.

Did'nt they just offer a thumper with more RAM recently???

--
Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc,Plano,TX [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   Voice: 972.379.2133 Timezone: US CDT