> But the slog is the ZIL. formaly a *separate* intent log.

No the slog is not the ZIL!

Here's the definition of the terms as we've been trying to use them:

ZIL:
        The body of code the supports synchronous requests, which writes
        out to the Intent Logs
Intent Log:
        A stable storage log. There is one per file system & zvol.
slog:
        An Intent Log on a separate stable device - preferably high speed.

We don't really have name for an Intent Log when it's embedded in the main
pool. I have in the past used the term clog for chained log. Originally before
slogs existed, it was just the Intent Log.

Neil.