Hi,

>> - The ZIL exists on a per filesystem basis in ZFS. Is there an RFE
>> already
>>    that asks for the ability to disable the ZIL on a per filesystem
>> basis?
>
> Yes: 6280630 zil synchronicity

good, thanks for the pointer!

> Though personally I've been unhappy with the exposure that zil_disable
> has got.
> It was originally meant for debug purposes only. So providing an official
> way to make synchronous behaviour asynchronous is to me dangerous.

IMHO, the need here is to give admins control over the way they want their
file servers to behave. In this particular case, the admin argues that he knows
what he's doing, that he doesn't want his NFS server to behave more strongly
than a local filesystem and that he deserves control of that behaviour.

Ideally, there would be an NFS option that lets customers choose whether they
want to honor COMMIT requests or not.

Disabling ZIL on a per filesystem basis is only the second best solution, but
since that CR already exists, it seems to be the more realistic route.

Thanks,
    Constantin

--
Constantin Gonzalez                              Sun Microsystems GmbH, Germany
Principal Field Technologist                    http://blogs.sun.com/constantin

Sitz d. Ges.: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028