On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 06:50:46PM -0700, Nigel Smith wrote:
> Hi Matt
> What chipset is your PCI network card?
> (obviously, it not Intel, but what is it?)
> Do you know which driver the card is using?

I believe it's some sort of Realtek (8139 probably). It's coming up as rtls0

> You say '..The system was fine for a couple of weeks..'.
> At that point did you change any software - do any updates or upgrades?
> For instance, did you upgrade to a new build of OpenSolaris?

No, since the original problem with the onboard NICs it hasn't been upgraded
or anything.

> If not, then I would guess it's some sort of hardware problem.
> Can you try different cables and a different switch - anything
> in the path between client & server is suspect.

Have tried different cables and switch ports, I will try a different switch
as soon as I can get some space on one of the others.

> A mismatch of Ethernet duplex settings can cause problems - are
> you sure this is Ok.

Not 100% sure, but I will check as best I can.

> To get an idea of how the network is running try this:
>
> On the Solaris box, do an Ethernet capture with 'snoop' to a file.
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2240/snoop-1m?a=view
>
>  # snoop -d {device} -o {filename}
>
> .. then while capturing, try to play your video file through the network.
> Control-C to stop the capture.
>
> You can then use Ethereal or WireShark to analyze the capture file.
> On the 'Analyze' menu, select 'Expert Info'.
> This will look through all the packets and will report
> any warning or errors it sees.

It's coming up with a huge number of "TCP Bad Checksum" errors, a few
"Previous Segment Lost" and a few "Fast retransmission".

Thanks

Matt