Ok on the answers to all my questions.
There's nothing that really stands out as being obviously wrong.
Just out of interest, what build of OpenSolaris are you using?

One thing you could try on the Ethernet capture file, is to set
the WireShark 'Time' column like this:
"View > Time Display Format > Seconds Since Previous Displayed Packet"

Then look down the time column for any unusual high time delays
between packets. Any unusually high delays during
a data transfer phase, may indicate a problem.

Another thing you could try is measuring network performance
with a utility called 'iperf'.
It's not part of Solaris, so you would need to compile it.
Download the source from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf/

I've just compiled the latest version 2.0.4 on snv_93
without problem, using the normal "configure, make, make install".

If you want to run 'iperf' on a windows box, you can
download a '.exe' of an older version here:
http://www.noc.ucf.edu/Tools/Iperf/

You can find tutorials on how to use it at these links:
http://www.openmaniak.com/iperf.php
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3657236

I've just tried 'iperf' between my OpenSolaris pc & an old
Windows pc, both with low-cost realtek gigabit cards and
linked via a low-cost NetGear switch. I measured a TCP
bandwidth of 196 Mbit/sec in one direction and
145 Mbit/sec in the opposite direction.
(On OpenSolaris, Iperf was not able to increase
the default TCP window size of 48K bytes.)
Regards
Nigel Smith