I've done some more research, but would still greatly appreciate someone
helping me understand this.

It seems that writes to only the home directory of the person logged in to the
console suffers from degraded performance.  If I write to a subdirectory
beneath my home, or to any other directory on the system, performance is great.
 But if I have a session on the console, no matter where else I test from
(Gnome or a remote shell), writes ONLY to my home suffer.  If I log out of the
console and then SSH in from another system, writes to the home directory no
longer suffer from degraded performance.

This has proven true on every OpenSolaris system I've tried--all of which are
using ZFS.  So what is it about logging into the console that slows write
performance to ONLY the top level home directory of the username on the same
console?