If that were the case, why would it matter if I was logged into the console,
and why would subdirectories of my home exhibit better write performance than
the top level home directory?  A write to /export/home/username is slower than
to /export/home/username/blah, but ONLY if that user is logged into the console.

I'm not saying it's not an odd autofs interaction, because I've seen things
just as strange.  It just seems like the console login is the tripwire for this
performance issue, and autofs would come to play at every login and not just a
login to the console.