On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, William Bauer wrote:
> This has proven true on every OpenSolaris system I've tried--all of
> which are using ZFS.  So what is it about logging into the console
> that slows write performance to ONLY the top level home directory of
> the username on the same console?

Recently OpenSolaris included a 'tracker' daemon and supportive
framework which responds to any filesystem change in the user's home
directory and opens the changed file so that it can be indexed.
There were probably already Gnome features which depend on this file
change detection (e.g. so that an icon may be generated). Perhaps this
explains the problem?

Bob