On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 05:31:37PM -0500, Miles Nordin wrote:
>     nw> If you can fully trust the SAN then there's no reason not to
>     nw> run ZFS on top of it with no ZFS mirrors and no RAID-Z.
>
> The best practice I understood is currently to use zpool-layer
> redundancy especially with SAN even moreso than with single-spindle

Yes, but I believe this whole thread is about ZFS with no zpool-layer
redundancy, with RAID done in the SAN.

> local storage, because of (1) the new corruption problems people are

Your thesis is that all corruption problems observed with ZFS on SANs
are: a) phantom writes that never reached the rotating rust, b) not bit
rot, corruption in the I/O paths, ...  Correct?

> The problems do not sound like random bit-flips.  They're corruption
> of every ueberblock.  The best-guess explanation AIUI, is not FC

Some of the earlier problems of type (2) were triggered by checksum
verification failures on pools with no redundancy, where ZFS would just
panic (IIRC).  These were due to bit-rot issues, not cache flush
failures.

> checksum gremlins---it's that write access to the SAN is lost and then
> comes back---ex. if the SAN target loses power or fabric access but
> the ZFS host doesn't reboot---and either the storage stack is
> misreporting the failure or ZFS isn't correctly responding to the
> errors.  see the posts I referenced.

It's possible that ZFS could, periodically (in the background) and/or at
pool import time (synchronously), validate the consistency on disk of
every transaction going backwards from the last until one is found that
is consistent, or until it runs out of past überblocks, or it goes too
far into the past.  (Does ZFS have an option to do that?  It might be a
useful option to have for dealing with lying SANs.)

>     jh> ZFS' notorious instability during error conditions.

> right, availability is a reason to use RAID below ZFS layer.  It might

ZFS handles device errors better when ZFS does redundancy at the zpool
layer, as opposed to when redundancy is left to the SAN.  That's well
established, so why do you say the opposite?

Nico