On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 06:10:10AM -0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> thanks. All my servers run OpenBSD, so I know the difference between
> a DOS-partition and a slice. :)

My background is Solaris SPARC, where things are simpler.  Solaris
writes a label to a physical disk to define slices (Solaris
partitions) on the disk.  The `format' command sees the physical disk.
In the case of Solaris x86, this command sees one fdisk partition,
which it treats as a disk.  I generally create a single fdisk
partition that occupies the entire disk, to return to simplicity.

> My confusion is about the labels. I could not label it what I
> wanted, like zfsed or pool, it had to be root. And since we can have
> only a single bf-partition per drive (dsk), I was thinking ZFS would
> take the (existing but unlabeled) s0 to attach to. This does not
> seem to be the case.

The tag that appears on the partition menu isn't used in normal
operation of the system.  There are only a few valid choices, but
`root' is fine.

> Out of curiosity: how does it matter (to ZFS) if /dsk/c3t1d0s0 is a
> complete drive or exists in a bf-partition?
>
> One way or another, /dev/dsk/c2d0s0 seems to be over-defined now.

If you give `zpool' a complete disk, by omitting the slice part, it
will write its own label to the drive.  If you specify it with a
slice, it expects that you have already defined that slice.  For a
root pool, it has to be a slice.