This might sound sooo simple, but it isn't. I read the ZFS Administration Guide
and it did not give an answer; at least no simple answer, simple enough for me
to understand.
The intention is to follow the thread "Easiest way to replace a boot disk with
a larger one".
The command given would be
zpool attach rpool /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 /dev/dsk/c2d0s0
as far as I understand in my case. What it says is "cannot open
'/dev/dsk/c2d0s0': No such device or address". format shows that the partition
exists:
# format
Searching for disks...done
AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 17020 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
          /p...@0,0/pci-...@9/i...@0/c...@0,0
       1. c2d0 <DEFAULT cyl 10442 alt 2 hd 255 sec 126>
          /p...@0,0/pci-...@9/i...@1/c...@0,0
Specify disk (enter its number): 1
selecting c2d0
Controller working list found
[disk formatted, defect list found]
FORMAT MENU:
[...]
             Total disk size is 38912 cylinders
             Cylinder size is 32130 (512 byte) blocks

                                               Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
      =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
          1                 Linux native      0    19      20      0
          2                 Solaris2         19  10462    10444     27
          3                 Other OS       10463  13074    2612      7
          4                 EXT-DOS        13075  38912    25838     66

[...]

To my understanding, there is no need to format before using a file system in
ZFS.
The "Creating a Basic ZFS File System" is not clear to me. The first (and only)
command it offers, creates a mirrored storage of a whole disk; none of which I
intend to do. (I suggested before, to offer a guide as well containing all the
*basic* commands.) I wonder if I really need to use format->partition first to
create slice s0 in that second (DOS)partition of c2d0 before ZFS can use it?

Thanks,

Uwe