On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Miles Nordin <car...@ivy.net> wrote:

>    db> CRC/Checksum Error Detection In SANmelody and SANsymphony,
>    db> enhanced error detection can be provided by enabling Cyclic
>    db> Redundancy Check (CRC) [...] The CRC bits may
>    db> be added to either Data Digest, Header Digest, or both.
>
> Thanks for the plug, but that sounds like an iSCSI feature, between
> storage controller and client, not between storage controller and
> disk.  It sounds suspiciously like they're advertising something many
> vendors do without bragging, but I'm not sure.  Anyway we're talking
> about something different: writing to the disk in checksummed packets,
> so the storage controller can tell when the disk has silently returned
> bad data or another system has written to part of the disk, stuff like
> that---checksums to protect data as time passes, not as it travels
> through space.

The CRC checking is at least standard on QLogic hardware HBA's.  I would
imagine most vendors have it in their software stacks as well since it's
part of the iSCSI standard.  It was more of a corner case for iSCSI to try
to say "look, I'm as good as Fibre Channel" than anything else (IMO).
Although that opinion may very well be inaccurate :)

--Tim