Looking at format it is missing 12 discs!
Which is probably not suprisingly the number of discs in the external storage
controller.

The other presnt disc have moved to c2 from c0.

The driver is the same for both the discs (it is the HP CQPAry3 driver) and the
external storage is on the same controller as the internal disc (but a
different port)

If I grep dmesg I see all discs appear to be found
sd?? at cpqary30: target X lun 0
There are the correct number shown here.

Ahhh... devfs...

Ran devfsadm and it did the trick - it twigged when format couldn't see the
discs but they where found by the kernel!

Thanks for your help.