David Magda <dmagda <at> ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> > The format of the [zfs send] stream is evolving. No backwards
> > compatibility is guaranteed. You may not be able to receive your
> > streams on future versions of ZFS.
>
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2240/zfs-1m
>
> If you want to do back ups of your file system use a documented
> utility (tar, cpio, pax, zip, etc.).

Well understood.  But does anyone know the long-term intentions of
the ZFS developers in this area?  The one big disadvantage of the
recommended approaches shows up when you start taking advantage
of ZFS to clone filesystems without replicating storage.  Using "zfs send"
will avoid representing the data twice to the backup system (and allow
easy reconstruction of the clones), but I don't think the same goes for
the other techniques.

It would be nice to know that they're thinking about a way to address
these issues.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boostpro Computing