On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Brandon High <bh...@freaks.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Tim <t...@tcsac.net> wrote:
> > Given the current state of AMD, I think we all know that's not likely.
>  Why
> > cut into the revenue of your server line chips when you don't have to?
> >  Right?
>
> AMD has nothing to do with whether ECC exists on the Nehalem.

Of course it does.  Competition directly affects the features provided on
everyone in a market segment's products.

> Most likely ECC is in the memory controller of the Nehalem die, it's
> just disabled on the i7. It wouldn't make any sense to tape out a
> whole new die for the server version of the chip. The Xeon could use
> another stepping, but I'd expect Intel to use the same on both
> consumer and server versions of the chip.

The fact Intel put a memory controller on die is PROOF that AMD has a direct
effect on their product roadmap.  Do you think Intel would have willingly
killed off their lucrative northbridge chipset business without AMD forcing
their hand?  Please.

--Tim