Thanks for your reply.
What if I wrap the ram in a sheet of lead?    ;-)
(hopefully the lead itself won't be radioactive)

I found these 4 AM3 motherboard with "optional" ECC memory support. I don't
know whether this means ECC works, or ECC memory can be used but ECC will not.
Do you?

Asus  M4N78 SE, Nvidia nForce 720D Chipset, 4xsata
Asus  M4N78-VM, Nvidia GeForce 8200 Chipset, 6xsata, onboard video
Asus  M4N82 Deluxe,  NVIDIA nForce 980a Chipset, 6xsata
Gigabyte  GA-MA770T-UD3P, AMD 770 Chipset, 6xsata

The 2nd one looks the most promising, and GeForce 8200 seems somewhat supported
by solaris except for sound(don't care) and network (can add another card. A
workaround is described in
http://pegolon.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/setting-up-my-solaris-fileserver-part-1/
 but i'd be clueless if anything goes wrong).

What do you think?