Ok, so the choice for a MB boils down to:

- Intel desktop MB, no ECC support
- Intel server MB, ECC support, expensive (requires a Xeon for speedstep
support). It is a shame to waste top kit doing nothing 24/7.
- AMD K8: ECC support(right?), no Cool'n'quiet support (but maybe still cool
enough with the right CPU?)
- AMD K10: should have the best all of both worlds: ECC support, Cool'n'quiet,
cheap-ish and lowish-power CPU like Athlon II 250

Is my understanding correct? Like many I want reliable, cheap, low power, ECC
supporting MB. Integrated video and low power chipset would be best. The sata
ports will have to come from an additional controller it seems, but that's life.

Intel gear is best supported, but they shoot themselves (or is that that us?)
in the foot with their ECC-on-server MB policy.

AMD K10 seems the most tempting as it has it all. I wonder about solaris
support though. For example, is an AM3 MB OK with solaris?

I'd like this hopefully to work right away with opensolaris 2009.06, without
fiddling with drivers, I dont have much time or skills.

What AM3 MB do you guys know that is trouble free with solaris?

If none, maybe top quality ram (suggestions?) would allow me to forego ECC and
use a well supported low power intel board (suggestions?) instead? and a E5200?

Thanks for your insight.