Harry Putnam wrote:
Setup: Osol.11 build 109
Athlon64 3400+ Aopen AK-86L mobo
adeptec 1250sa Sata PCI controller card

[re-posted from accidental post to osol `general' group]

I'm having trouble with an adaptec 1205sa (non-raid) SATA PCI card.

It was all working fine when I plugged 2 used sata 200gb disks of a
windows xp machine into it.  Booted my osol server and added a zpool
mirror using those 2 drives and the adaptec 1205sa SATA PCI card.
<snip>

Now my 200gb mirror is too small, I'm replacing it with 2 750s.

I thought I would shutdown, pull one 200gb and replace it with a 750
to be attached and resilvered.  Then the other 750.

However I hit a snag right away.  Pulled a 200gb added a 750 but on
boot when I get to that screen I see:

   Press F3 to enter configuration utility
   Primary channel:  WDC WD200-blah-blah           190782 MB
 Primary secondary:  WDC WD750-blah-blah

Note the size is missing.  And there the boot hangs.. forever.
Pressing F3 has no effect whatever.

It looks like the card BOIS has written to the dives and expects the same drive to be there.

So it appears I'm stuck.  I'm thinking the problem is that the adaptec
for some reason needs to be able to report a size and that is whats
hanging things up.

So I wondered if it might get me past this hang if I were to plug that
new 750 into a windows/or linux machine and  format it, either as ntfs
on windows or just fdisk a partition of the entire drive on linux.

Unlikely, ZFS will re-label the drive an the card should be able to work with new drives.

Check the BIOS documentation for the card.

--
Ian.