Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> writes:

> Once booted up I see the recurring message where I should see a login
> prompt (I'm setup to boot into console mode).
>
>   ata_id_common Busy Status 0xfe error 0x0
>
> Repeated 4 times, then after maybe a 2-3 minute wait the regular login
> prompt appears.
>
> There is something more going on that is dragging the machine down so
> that typing at the prompt is delayed by huge pauses.
>
> I'm not really able to find out what it is yet but will post back
> later after a reboot.

Those 4 lines continue to appear on ever boot now.. (still with old
200gb sata drives out.

Seems when the boot prompt does appear there is something dragging
down the os making logging in really sluggish.

It appears to be the fmd daemon running periodically and driving
resource drain on cpu up to 99 percent.

That seems to continue to occur for at least several cycles watching
it in `top'.  They last maybe close to 1 minute then disappear for a
while.  Several minutes at least.  The cylces seem to keep coming
after being booted up for 10 minutes now.

I'm not sure which logs to look in to see whats happing.  But earlier
today these showed up in /var/adm/messages:

Mar 28 09:38:25 zfs fmd: [ID 441519 daemon.error] SUNW-MSG-ID:
ZFS-8000-D3, TYPE: Fault, VER: 1, SEVERITY: Major
Mar 28 09:38:25 zfs IMPACT: Fault tolerance of the pool may be
compromised.

The console login continues to be nearly useless with the delays and
pauses while typing.

However ssh in and the terminal I get seem to be less effected, or
even un-effected so I can do things in some kind or reasonable way.

I'm really not sure what to do though.  I did
  `zpool destroy thatpool' on the pool that was on the sata drives.

That appears to have worked, but didn't help with resource drain
coming from `fmd'

The tail of the log pointed to by svcs -l system/fmd shows:
(/var/svc/log/system-fmd:default.log)
[...]
[ Mar 28 09:20:31 Enabled. ]
[ Mar 28 09:25:11 Executing start method ("/usr/lib/fm/fmd/fmd"). ]
[ Mar 28 09:28:24 Method "start" exited with status 0. ]
[ Mar 28 09:53:50 Enabled. ]
[ Mar 28 09:54:50 Executing start method ("/usr/lib/fm/fmd/fmd"). ]
[ Mar 28 09:55:44 Method "start" exited with status 0. ]
[ Mar 28 09:59:21 Stopping because service disabled. ]
[ Mar 28 09:59:21 Executing stop method (:kill). ]
[ Mar 28 10:01:09 Enabled. ]
[ Mar 28 10:02:17 Executing start method ("/usr/lib/fm/fmd/fmd"). ]
[ Mar 28 10:02:49 Method "start" exited with status 0. ]

I have no idea is that is normal or what.