On 03/28/09 20:01, Harry Putnam wrote:

Finding a sataII card is proving to be very difficult.  The reason is
that I only have PCI no PCI express.  I haven't see a single one
listed as SATAII compatible and have spent a bit time googling.

It's even worse if you have an old SPARC system. We've had great results
with some LSI LOGIC SAS3041XL-S cards we got on E-Bay in conjunction
with 3x1.5TB Seagate drives, for 2.7TiB of raidz. The combination proved
faster than mirrored 10,000 RPM SCSI disks using UFS, in an unscientific
benchmark (bonnie). I don't think this LSI controller is SATA II, but
it has no problems with the 1.5TB Seagates; they are Sun branded cards
and worked right of of the box in 3.3V 66MHz PCI slots. 2.7TiB of raidz
for around $400. Amazing... And ZFS is just plain incredible - makes
every other file system look so antiquated :-)

Hope this helps -- Frank