Hi Louis!

Solaris /usr/bin/find and Linux (GNU-) find work differently! I have experienced dramatic runtime differences some time ago. The reason is that Solaris find and GNU find use different algorithms.

GNU find uses the st_nlink ("number of links") field of the stat structure to optimize it's work. Solaris find does not use this kind of optimization because the meaning of "number of links" is not well defined and file system dependent.

If you are interested, take a look at, say,

CR 4907267 link count problem is hsfs
CR 4462534 RFE: pcfs should emulate link counts for directories

Dirk