Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com> writes:

> George would probably have the latest info, but there were a number of
> things which circled around the notorious "Stop looking and start ganging"
> bug report,
> http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6596237

Indeed: we were seriously bitten by this one, taking three Solaris 10
fileservers down for about a week until the problem was diagnosed by Sun
Service and an IDR provided.  Unfortunately, this issue (seriously
fragmented pools or pools beyond ca. 90% full cause file servers to grind
to a halt) were only announced/acknowledged publicly after our incident,
although the problem seems to have been reported almost two years ago.
While a fix has been integrated into snv_114, there's still no patch for
S10, only various IDRs.

It's unclear what the state of the related CR 4854312 (need to defragment
storage pool, submitted in 2003!) is.  I suppose this might be dealt with
by the vdev removal code, but overall it's scary that dealing with such
fundamental issues takes so long.

        Rainer