Joseph L. Casale wrote:
Another thing to remember is the expansion slots. You mentioned putting
in a SATA controller for more drives, You'll want to make sure the board
has a slot that can handle the card you want. If you're not using
graphics then any board with a single PCI-E x16 slot should handle
anything. But if you do put in a graphics board you'll want to look at
what other slots are available. Not many consumer boards have PCI-X
slots, and only some have PCI-E x4 slots. PCI-E x1 slots are getting
scarce too. Most of the PCI-E SATA controlers I've seen want a slot at
least x4, and many are x8.

Better check that, almost *all* consumer boards that have 1 16 lane PCIe
slot can only have use a graphics card in that slot. I can confirm this
to be true and most Intel boards are that way and some Asus boards I have
used behave this way as well.
Really? That's good to know. Is that only for the first x16 slot? or (for MB that have them) all the x16 slots?
I wonder how it knows if it's a video card... hmm.

That makes the prospects of adding more SATA ports even harder. All the 8 port cards I've seen are either PCI-X or PCI-E, and many are physically x8 or more, even if they'll run with fewer lanes.

As far as ECC for a home system, I run two ESXi servers, an asterisk PBX,
a red hat iSCSI server etc etc all on commodity mobo's without ECC and
have perfect uptime. I wouldn't do this at work, but for the 1/2 dozen people
that use it _at home_, it works perfectly.
I know it might be over kill. But I have other reasons to liek the MB, and if it can do ECC, and the memory doesn't cost more (and with 2GB DIMMs it doesn't) I figured why not. Though it is slower. Everything is a trade off.

 -Kyle

jlc