Thanks posting this solution.

But I would like to point out that bug 6574286 "removing a slog doesn't work"
still isn't resolved. A solution is under it's way, according to George Wilson.
But in the mean time, IF something happens you might be in a lot of trouble.
Even without some unfortunate incident you cannot for example export your data
pool, pull the drives and leave the root pool.
Don't get me wrong I would like such a setup a lot. But I'm not going to
implement it until the slog can be removed or the pool be imported without the
slog.

In the mean time can someone confirm that in such a case, root pool and zil in
two slices and mirrored, that the write cache can be enabled with format? Only
zfs is using the disk, but perhaps I'm wrong on this. There have been post's
regarding enabling the write_cache. But I couldn't find a conclusive answer for
the above scenario.

Regards,

Frederik