>I don't think this is limited to root pools.  None of my pools (root or
>non-root) seem to have the write cache enabled.  Now that I think about
>it, all my disks are "hidden" behind an LSI1078 controller so I'm not
>sure what sort of impact that would have on the situation.

I have a few of those controllers as well, I wouldn't believe for a second
that ZFS could change the controller config for an ld, I couldn't see how?

# /usr/local/bin/CLI/MegaCli -LdGetProp -DskCache -LAll -a0

Adapter 0-VD 0(target id: 0): Disk Write Cache : Disabled
Adapter 0-VD 1(target id: 1): Disk Write Cache : Disabled
Adapter 0-VD 2(target id: 2): Disk Write Cache : Disabled
Adapter 0-VD 3(target id: 3): Disk Write Cache : Disabled
Adapter 0-VD 4(target id: 4): Disk Write Cache : Disabled

The comment later about defining a pool w/ and w/o the sX syntax warrants a
test:)
Good to keep in mind...

jlc