James Lever wrote:

On 30/07/2009, at 11:32 PM, Darren J Moffat wrote:

On the host that has the ZFS datasets (ie the NFS/CIFS server) you need to give the user the delegation to create snapshots and to mount them:

# zfs allow -u james snapshot,mount,destroy tank/home/james

Ahh, it was the lack of mount that caught me!  Thanks Darren.

It is documented in the zfs(1M) man page:

     Permissions are generally the ability to use a  ZFS  subcom-
     mand or change a ZFS property. The following permissions are
     available:

       snapshot     subcommand   Must also have the 'mount' ability.

I've read through the manpage but have not managed to get the correct set of permissions for it to work as a normal user (so far).

What did you try ?
What release of OpenSolaris are you running ?

snv 118. I blame being tired and not trying enough options! I was trying to do it with just snapshot and destroy expecting something like a snapshot didn't need to be mounted for some reason.

Thanks for the clarification. Next time I think I'll also consult the administration guide as well as the manpage though I guess an explicit example for the snapshot delegation wouldn't go astray in the manpage.

Like the one that is already there ?

    Example 18 Delegating ZFS Administration  Permissions  on  a
     ZFS Dataset

     The following example shows how to set permissions  so  that
     user  cindys  can create, destroy, mount, and take snapshots

       # # zfs allow cindys create,destroy,mount,snapshot tank/cindys

--
Darren J Moffat