On 09/29/09 10:23 PM, Marc Bevand wrote:

If I were you I would format every 1.5TB drive like this:
* 6GB slice for the root fs

As noted in another thread, 6GB is way too small. Based on
actual experience, an upgradable rpool must be more than
20GB. I would suggest at least 32GB; out of 1.5TB that's
still negligible. Recent release notes for image-update say
that at least 8GB free is required for an update. snv111b
as upgraded from a CD installed image takes > 11GB without
any user applications like Firefox. Note also that a nominal
1.5TB drive really only has 1.36TB of actual space as reported
by zfs.

Can't speak to the 12-way mirror idea, but if you go this
route you might keep some slices for rpool backups. I have
found having a disk with such a backup invaluable...

How do you plan to do backups in general?

Cheers -- Frank