On 09/30/09 12:59 PM, Marc Bevand wrote:

It depends on how minimal your install is.

Absolutely minimalist install from live CD subsequently updated
via pkg to snv111b. This machine is an old 32 bit PC used now
as an X-terminal, so doesn't need any additional software. It
now has a bigger slice of a larger pair of disks :-). snv122
also takes around 11GB after emptying /var/pkg/download.

# uname -a
SunOS host8 5.11 snv_111b i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris
# df -h
rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-2
                       34G   13G   22G  37% /

There's around 765GB in /var/pkg/download that could be deleted,
and 1GB's worth of snapshots left by previous image-updates,
bringing it down to around 11GB. consistent with a minimalist
SPARC snv122 install with /var/pkg/download emptied and all but
the current BE and all snapshots deleted.

The OpenSolaris install instructions recommend 8GB minimum, I have

It actually says 8GB free space required. This is on top of the
space used by the base installation. This 8GB makes perfect sense
when you consider that the baseline has to be snapshotted, and
new code has to be downloaded and installed in a way that can be
rolled back. I can't explain why the snv111b baseline is 11GB vs.
the 6GB of the initial install, but this was a default install
followed by default image-updates.

one OpenSolaris 2009.06 server using about 4GB, so I thought 6GB
would be sufficient. That said I have never upgraded the rpool of
this server, but based on your commends I would recommend an rpool
of 15GB to the original poster.

The absolute minimum for an upgradable rpool is 20GB, for both
SPARC and X86. This assumes you religiously purge all unnecessary
files (such as /var/pkg/download) and keep swap, /var/dump,
/var/crash and /opt on another disk. You *really* don't want to
run out of space doing an image-update. The result is likely
to require a restore from backup of the rpool, or at best, loss
of some space that seems to vanish down a black hole.

Technically, the rpool was recovered from a baseline snapshot
several times onto a 20GB disk until I figured out empirically
that 8GB of free space was required for the image-update. I
really doubt your mileage will vary. Prudence says that 32GB
is much safer...

Cheers -- Frank