Tim Cook wrote:
While I'm sure to offend someone, it must be stated. That's not going to happen for the simple fact that there's all of two vendors that could utilize it, both niche (in relative terms). NetApp and Sun. Why would SSD MFG's waste their time building drives to sell for less money than their mainline that a very, very small portion of the market can actually utilize?

Until you convince Hitachi, EMC, HP, IBM, and Microsoft to develop similar "intelligent" filesystems, the SSD's you're recommending won't see the light of day (unless Sun/NetApp decide to make it themselves).

--
--Tim

I do think the market is slight larger: Hitachi and EMC storage arrays/big SAN controllers, plus all Linux boxes once Brtfs actually matures enough to be usable. I don't see MSFT making any NTFS changes to help here, but they are doing some research/development on a next-gen filesystem (didn't make it into Windows 2008, but maybe Win2011), so we'll have to see what that entails.

All that said, it would certainly be limited to Enterprise SSD, which, are low-volume. But, on the up side, they're High Margin, so maybe we can hope...

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support