On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:17 AM, matthew patton <patto...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > charge a premium for their products but they ARE a
> > enterprise vendor.  You
> > wouldn't say something like "hey, where can i buy a Ferrari
> > without any
> > wheels...i'm not paying x amount for a silly aluminum
> > wheel"
>
> true. but I buy a Ferrari for the engine and bodywork and chassis
> engineering. It is totally criminal what Sun/EMC/Dell/Netapp do charging
> customers 10x the open-market rate for standard drives. A RE3/4 or NS drive
> is the same damn thing no matter if I buy it from ebay or my local
> distributor. Dell/Sun/Netapp buy drives by the container load. Oh sure, I
> don't mind paying an extra couple pennies/GB for all the strenuous efforts
> the vendors spend on firmware verification (HA!).
>
> I will happily pay a couple grand for the chassis, backplane, power
> supplies, and original engineering. Like my g'papy used to say; don't p*ss
> down my back and tell me it's raining.

You are just wrong.  totally wrong.
Let's look at the facts:

Fact:  Sun makes a wonderful software product
Fact:  Sun gives this away for free
Fact:  Sun does this for many reasons but one is so they can sell hardware
Fact:  Sun hardware is a premium product
Fact   When you buy a premium product you are paying for a lot, the actual
cost of the tech is just a small fraction of this cost.  You are paying for
the reputation of that company and the service they provide.

Fact:  you are free to build your own white box server and throw in as many
cheap newegg hard drives as you want
Fact:  It will not be built with the same standards as a sun product

I'm sorry, you want to have your cake and eat it to.

I can't afford a sun chassis either, but luckily sun DOES give us the
software for free.  You can do what everyone else does and build your own
server.  Don't complain that they charge to much.  Be happy that they CAN
charge enough to subsidize your "cheap" servers.