On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Slack-Moehrle <
mailingli...@mailnewsrss.com> wrote:

> OK, I have 3Ware looking into a driver for my cards (3ware 9500S-8) as I
> dont see an OpenSolaris driver for them.
>
> But this leads me that they do have a FreeBSD Driver, so I could still use
> ZFS.
>
> What does everyone thing about that? I bet it is not as mature as on
> OpenSolaris.
>
> Does anyone have a ZFS tutorial?
>
> We use 3Ware 9550SX and 9650SE RAID controllers with FreeBSD.  They work
very nicely, are very stable, and come with fully-supported vendor drives in
the FreeBSD kernel.  The management tool (3dm2) is also available in the
FreeBSD ports tree.

These work quite nicely with ZFS.  You configure each individual drive as a
"Single Disk" array, thus enabling the cache on the controller, the
management features of the controller, etc.  (JBOD disables all that.)

FreeBSD 7.3 includes ZFSv13.

FreeBSD 8.0 includes ZFSv13.  But, 8-STABLE includes ZFSv14.

And there are efforts underway to port ZFSv20-something (at least 21 for
dedupe) into FreeBSD 9.0 (possibly 8.1 or 8.2).

We use FreeBSD + ZFS + 3Ware on our redundant backup boxes (rsync 120
Linux/FreeBSD servers to box1 each night, rsync box1 to box2 each day).  No
issues to report since upgrading to ZFSv13 and FreeBSD 8.0.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com