On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
"mature" is not the right term in this case.  FreeBSD has been around much
longer than opensolaris, and it's equally if not more mature.  FreeBSD is
probably somewhat less featureful.  Because their focus is heavily on the
reliability and stability side, rather than early adoption.  Also it's less
popular so there are ... less package availability.

And FreeBSD in general will be built using older versions of packages than
what's in OpenSolaris.

I am confused. What is the meaning of "package" and why would OpenSolaris be ahead of FreeBSD when it comes to "packages"? I am not sure what the meaning of "package" is but the claim seems quite dubious to me.

To be sure, FreeBSD 8.0 is behind with zfs versions:

% zpool upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 13.

but of course this is continually being worked on, and the latest stuff (with dedup) is in the process of being ported for delivery in FreeBSD 9.0 (and possibly FreeBSD 8.X).

I think that the main advantage that Solaris ultimately has over FreeBSD when it comes to zfs is that Solaris provides an advanced fault management system and FreeBSD does not.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn