> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey
>
> > From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> > boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey
> >
> > Actually, I find this very surprising:
> > Question posted:
> > http://lopsa.org/pipermail/tech/2010-April/004356.html
>
> As the thread unfolds, it appears, although netapp may sometimes have
> some
> problems with "mv" directories ... This is evidence that appears to be
> weakening ...

Nope.  That discussion seems to be concluded now.  And the netapp does not
have the problem that was suspected.

The .snapshot directories do precisely what you would want them to do.
Which is:  The .snapshot directory belonging to a parent contains a copy of
the filesystem as it looked at the time of the snapshot.  But when you mv or
rename a subdirectory, then the .snapshot subdir of the subdirectory
correctly maps, to preserve the snapshots inside that directory.

Make sense?