On 24 apr 2010, at 16.43, Richard Elling wrote:

> I do not recall reaching that conclusion.  I think the definition of the
> problem
> is what you continue to miss.

Me too then, I think. Can you please enlighten us about the
definition of the problem?

>> The .snapshot directories do precisely what you would want them to do.
>> Which is:  The .snapshot directory belonging to a parent contains a copy of
>> the filesystem as it looked at the time of the snapshot.  But when you mv or
>> rename a subdirectory, then the .snapshot subdir of the subdirectory
>> correctly maps, to preserve the snapshots inside that directory.
>
> Agree, but the path is lost.

In what way?

On 24 apr 2010, at 09.18, Brandon High wrote:
> To answer the question you linked to:
> .shapshot/snapname.0/a/b/c/d.txt from the top of the filesystem
> a/.snapshot/snapname.0/b/c/d.txt
> a/e/.shapshot/snapname.0/c/d.txt
> a/e/c/.snapshot/snapname.0/d.txt

I really don't understand what you mean, I think the path is there
just fine, and IMHO pretty much in the way you would expect.

>> Make sense?
>
> Yes.  The contents of the directory are there, but the full pathname does
> not follow because you changed a name in the path.  Whether this is
> useful or not depends on whether you expect the path to be followed.
>
> It seems, the NetApp snapshot is a directory-level snapshot rather than a
> file system snapshot. I cannot see how to merge the two, so perhaps
> adding such a feature to ZFS could not leverage the file system snapshot?

I believe NetApp snapshots are volume based in a fashion very much
like zfs volume snapshots.

/ragge