On Jul 22, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Miles Nordin <car...@ivy.net> wrote:

>    sw> 'clone' vs. a 'copy' would be very easy since we have
>    sw> deduplication now
>
> dedup doesn't replace the snapshot/clone feature for the
> NFS-share-full-of-vmdk use case because there's no equivalent of
> 'zfs rollback'
>

> I'm tempted to say, ``vmware needs to remove their silly limit'' but
> there are takes-three-hours-to-boot problems with thousands of Solaris
> NFS exports so maybe their limit is not so silly after all.
>
> What is the scenario, you have?  Is it something like 40 hosts with
> live migration among them, and 40 guests on each host?  so you need
> 1600 filesystems mounted even though only 40 are actually in use?
>
> 'zfs set sharenfs=absorb <dataset>' would be my favorite answer, but
> lots of people have asked for such a feature, and answer is always
> ``wait for mirror mounts'' (which BTW are actually just-works for me
> on very-recent linux, even with plain 'mount host:/fs /fs', without
> saying 'mount -t nfs4', in spite of my earlier rant complaining they
> are not real).  Of course NFSv4 features are no help to vmware, but
> hypothetically I guess mirror-mounting would work if vmware supported
> it, so long as they were careful not to provoke the mounting of guests
> not in use.  The ``implicit automounter'' on which the mirror mount
> feature's based would avoid the boot delay of mounting 1600
> filesystems.
>
> and BTW I've not been able to get the Real Automounter in Linux to do
> what this implicit one already can with subtrees.  Why is it so hard
> to write a working automounter?
>
> The other thing I've never understood is, if you 'zfs rollback' an
> NFS-exported filesystem, what happens to all the NFS clients?  It
> seems like this would cause much worse corruption than the worry when
> people give fire-and-brimstone speeches about never disabling
> zil-writing while using the NFS server.  but it seems to mostly work
> anyway when I do this, so I'm probably confused about something.

To add to Miles' comments, what you are trying to accomplish isn't possible via
NFS to ESX, but could be accomplished with iSCSI zvols I believe. If I
understand you can thin-provision a zvol and clone it as many times as you wish
and present all the clones over iSCSI. Haven't tried it myself, but would be
worth testing.

-Ross