> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Marty Scholes
>
> What appears to be missing from this discussion is any shred of
> scientific evidence that fragmentation is good or bad and by how much.
> We also lack any detail on how much fragmentation does take place.

Agreed.  I've been rather lazily asserting a few things here and there that
I expected to be challenged, so I've been thinking up tests to
verify/dispute my claims, but then nobody challenged.  Specifically, "the
blocks on disk are not interleaved just because multiple threads were
writing at the same time."

So there's at least one thing which is testable, if anyone cares.

But there's also no way that I know of, to measure fragmentation in a real
system that's been in production for a year.