On Thu, September 16, 2010 14:04, Miles Nordin wrote:

>     dd> Sure, if only a single thread is ever writing to the disk
>     dd> store at a time.
>
> video warehousing is a reasonable use case that will have small
> numbers of sequential readers and writers to large files.  virtual
> tape library is another obviously similar one.  basically, things
> which used to be stored on tape.  which are not uncommon.

Haven't encountered those kinds of things first-hand, so I didn't think of
them.  Yes, those sound like they'd have lower numbers of simultaneous
users by a lot for one reason or another.

> AIUI ZFS does not have a fragmentation problem for these cases unless
> you fill past 96%, though I've been trying to keep my pool below 80%
> because <general FUD>.

As various people have said recently, we have no way to measure it that we
know of.  I don't feel I have a problem in my own setup, but it's so
low-stress that if ZFS doesn't work there, it wouldn't work anywhere.

>     dd> This situation doesn't exist with any kind of enterprise disk
>     dd> appliance, though; there are always multiple users doing
>     dd> stuff.
>
> the point's relevant, but I'm starting to tune out every time I hear
> the word ``enterprise.''  seems it often decodes to:

Picked the phrase out of an orifice; trying to distinguish between storage
for key corporate data assets, and other uses.

#3 is particularly amusing!
--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info