"Linder, Doug" <doug.lin...@merchantlink.com> wrote:

> > > Why do you want them to "GPL" ZFS?  In what way would that save you
> > annoyance?
> >
> > I actually think Doug was trying to say he wished Oracle would open the
> > development and make the source code open-sourced, not necessarily
> > GPL'd.
>
> Yes.  I don't really care which specific license it is, as long as it allows
> ZFS to go into Linux.
>
> How would it save me annoyance?  I find it *hugely* annoying that I can't use
> ZFS in Linux, and that a huge parallel effort (the horribly-named "btrfs") is
> required to duplicate something that already exists in a stable, powerful
> incarnation.  And even that will be several years at least before it's even
> close to "done" enough for people to trust it in production.

The reason for not being able to use ZFS under Linux is not the license used by
ZFS but the missing will for integration.

Several lawyers explained already why adding ZFS to the Linux would just create
a "collective work" that is permitted by the GPL.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)