On 02/16/11 07:38, white...@gmail.com wrote:
 Is it possible to use a portable drive to copy the
initial zfs filesystem(s) to the remote location and then make the
subsequent incrementals over the network?

Yes.

> If so, what would I need to do
to make sure it is an exact copy? Thank you,

Rough outline:

plug removable storage into source or a system near the source.
zpool create backup pool on removable storage
use an appropriate combination of zfs send & zfs receive to copy bits.
zpool export backup pool.
unplug removable storage
move it
plug it in to remote server
zpool import backup pool
use zfs send -i to verify that incrementals work

(I did something like the above when setting up my home backup because I initially dinked around with the backup pool hooked up to a laptop and then moved it to a desktop system).

optional: use zpool attach to mirror the removable storage to something faster/better/..., then after the mirror completes zpool detach to free up the removable storage.

                                        - Bill