> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Jim Klimov
>
> On one hand, I've read that as current drives get larger (while their
random
> IOPS/MBPS don't grow nearly as fast with new generations), it is becoming
> more and more reasonable to use RAIDZ3 with 3 redundancy drives, at least
> for vdevs made of many disks - a dozen or so. When a drive fails, you
still
> have two redundant parities, and with a resilver window expected to be in
> hours if not days range, I would want that airbag, to say the least.

This is both an underestimation of the time required, and a sort of backward
logic...

In all of the following, I'm assuming you're creating a pool whose primary
storage is hard drives, not SSDs or similar.

The resilver time scales linearly with the number of slabs (blocks) in the
degraded vdev, and depends on your usage patterns, which determine how
randomly your data got scattered throughout the vdev upon writes.  I assume
your choice of raid type will not determine your usage patterns.  So if you
create a big vdev (raidz3) as opposed to a bunch of smaller ones (mirrors)
the resilver time is longer for the large vdev.

Also, even in the best case scenario (mirrors) assuming you have a pool
that's reasonably full (say, 50% to 70%) the resilver time is likely to take
several times longer than a complete sequential read/write of the entire
disk.  In one of my systems, I have 1TB mirrors, 70% full, which can be
sequentially completely read/written in 2 hrs.  But the resilver took 12
hours of idle time.  Supposing you had a 70% full pool of raidz3, 2TB disks,
using 10 disks + 3 parity, and a usage pattern similar to mine, your
resilver time would have been minimum 10 days, likely approaching 20 or 30
days.  (Because you wouldn't get 2-3 weeks of consecutive idle time, and the
random access time for a raidz approaches 2x the random access time of a
mirror.)

BTW, the reason I chose 10+3 disks above was just because it makes
calculation easy.  It's easy to multiply by 10.  I'm not suggesting using
that configuration.  You may notice that I don't recommend raidz for most
situations.  I endorse mirrors because they minimize resilver time (and
maximize performance in general).  Resilver time is a problem for ZFS, which
they may fix someday.