I have to agree. ZFS needs a more intelligent scrub/resilver algorithm, which
can 'sequentialise' the process.

Giovanni Tirloni <gtirl...@sysdroid.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Sandon Van Ness <san...@van-ness.com> wrote:

Actually I have seen resilvers take a very long time (weeks) on solaris/raidz2
when I almost never see a hardware raid controller take more than a day or two.
In one case i thrashed the disks absolutely as hard as I could (hardware
controller) and finally was able to get the rebuild to take almost 1 week..
Here is an example of one right now:

  pool: raid3060
  state: ONLINE
  status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will
  continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
  action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
  scrub: resilver in progress for 224h54m, 52.38% done, 204h30m to go
  config:

Resilver has been a problem with RAIDZ volumes for a while. I've routinely seen
it take >300 hours and sometimes >600 hours with 13TB pools at 80%. All disks
are maxed out on IOPS while still reading 1-2MB/s and there rarely is any
writes. I've written about it before here (and provided data).

My only guess is that fragmentation is a real problem in a scrub/resilver
situation but whenever the conversation changes to point weaknesses in ZFS we
start seeing "that is not a problem" comments. With the 7000s appliance I've
heard that the 900hr estimated resilver time was "normal" and "everything is
working as expected". Can't help but think there is some walled garden syndrome
floating around.

--
Giovanni Tirloni