On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Darren J Moffat
<darr...@opensolaris.org> wrote:
> On 10/18/11 14:04, Jim Klimov wrote:
>> 2011-10-18 16:26, Darren J Moffat пишет:

>>> ZFS does slightly biases new vdevs for new writes so that we will get
>>> to a more even spread. It doesn't go and move already written blocks
>>> onto the new vdevs though. So while there isn't an admin interface to
>>> rebalancing ZFS does do something in this area.
>>> This is implemented in metaslab_alloc_dva()
>>> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs/metaslab.c
>>> See lines 1356-1378
>> And the admin interface would be what exactly?..
> As I said there isn't one because that isn't how it works today it is all
> automatic and only for new writes.
> I was pointing out that ZFS does do 'something' not that it had an exactly
> matching feature.

I have done a "poor man's" rebalance by copying data after adding
devices. I know this is not a substitute for a real online rebalance,
but it gets the job done (if you can take the data offline, I do it a
small chunk at a time).

Paul Kraus
-> Senior Systems Architect, Garnet River ( http://www.garnetriver.com/ )
-> Sound Coordinator, Schenectady Light Opera Company (
http://www.sloctheater.org/ )
-> Technical Advisor, RPI Players