I haven't read the code, but I can reference experimental results that seem to
defy statement...

If you time write a large data stream of completely duplicated data to disk
without dedup...
And time read it back...  It takes the same amount of time.

But,
If you enable dedup and repeat the same test, it goes much faster.  Depending
on a lot of variables, it might be 2x-12x faster.
To me, "significantly faster than disk speed," can only mean it's benefitting
from cache.