2012-03-09 9:24, Ian Collins wrote:
I sent the snapshot to a file, coped the file to the remote host and
piped the file into zfs receive. That worked and I was able to send
further snapshots with ssh.

Is it possible that in case of "zfs send ... | ssh | zfs recv"
piping, the two ZFS processes can have some sort of dialog and
misunderstanding in your case; while zfs-sending to a file has
no dialog and some commonly-working default format/assumptions?

As a wild guess, two systems might have different opinions for
example regarding dedup during dialog, while it was not even
considered when passing through files?