Am 16.05.12 16:53, schrieb Paul Kraus:
     I have a small server at home (HP Proliant Micro N36) that I use
for file, DNS, DHCP, etc. services. I currently have a zpool of four
mirrored 1 TB Seagate ES2 SATA drives. Well, it was a zpool of four
until last night when one of the drives died. ZFS did it's job and all
the data is still OK.

     The drive is still under warranty and is going back to Seagate,
but it raised an issue. I want to pick up a spare drive or two so that
I don't have to wait for shipping delays when a drive fails. I was
just going to pick up another 1 TB ES2 or two, but I find that those
drives are no longer available (I bought mine in 2009, warranty is up
in 2014).

     What do people like today for 7x24 operation SATA drives? I am
willing to consider 2TB, but don't really need the extra capacity (but
if that is all the market offers, I don't have to use the other half
:-) I found a Seagate Constellation ES 2 TB for about $350 (which is
more than I really want to spend, I got the ES2 1TB drives for about
$130 when I bought them). I have been sticking with Seagate as I am
comfortable with them, but am willing to look at others. The only
thing I insist on is that the drive be rated for 7x24 operation.

I am using a couple of its successor the N40L and after having flashed another BIOS - which allowes for AHCI and SATA on all drives channels - I am loving these little boxes. They're quiet and they only draw about 70 Watts (each, of course ;) ).

The drives I am using are Hitachi HUAs 72202 (Ultrastar 2TB), 2 mirrored vdevs, providing 3,6 TB. They are still kinda pricy, but I do have a lot of them running at work and they rarely gave me trouble. There are a couple of Hitachi Deskstar drives, that I would be tempted to try out, since they are tagged as 24/7 and they seem to be much cheaper, but then I am always trying to figure out why these drives are only 60% of the HUA's price and and what if that'd be for a reason.