Hello everybody,

I recently migrated a file server (NFS & Samba) from OpenSolaris (Build 111) to
Sol11. This the move we are facing random (or random looking) outages of our
Samba. As we have moved several folders (like Desktop and ApplicationData) out
of the usual profile to a folder inside the users home share, the setup is
sensible about timeouts. From time to time users are getting the infamous
Windows "Delayed Write Failure".

After checking nearly every parameter that came to my mind in the last days,
the zfs-auto-snapshot mechanism inside Solaris 11 came to my attention. We had
hourly and daily snapshot enabled and discovered that the snapshots are not
rotated as expected.

As there were known issues (if I remember correctly) with timesliderd in
OpenIndiana and we had the old zfs-auto-snap mechanism (without timesliderd)
running without any problems before the update, I'm wondering if the are any
known (performance) issues with the stuff in Solaris 11.

thx

Carsten